Sunday, September 11, 2011

Clean Oats!

I went to soak some of my new batch of live oats (Cayuga Pure) last night, that I bought yesterday, and Guess What!! they were a whole lot cleaner than what I was working with before. I had a quart of live oats at the beginning of the month that I'd bought several months ago, and hadn't gotten around to using because it looked like it was going to be too much work. But these oats are good enough to run through the roller or grind up into flour without having to clean them first! I was so happy I went back today and bought two more jars full. I'm gonna make some granola...

I made up a big fancy dinner last night, five whole courses, partly because it was market day and partly because Greg just got back from a business trip. But the funny thing is, the only part of the meal that I actually bought yesterday was the black trumpets. I needed to free up some space in the fridge, and I kind of went overboard...

9/10 Dinner Menu:
- buffalo (Glenwood Farms) eye of round steak, cubed, browned, and braised in broth (bouillon)
- blue potatoes (garden) roasted in chicken drippings (leftover from last week's chicken)
- rainbow chard (garden) cooked in cider and cider vinegar (Littletree/homemade)
- black trumpet mushrooms (Kingbird) and french gray shallots (garden) sauteed in butter (Meadow Creek) and red wine (Lucas Vineyards Dry Dock, leftover from last week)
- multigrain bread (see The Great Bread Experiment)
- the rest of the red wine for us (half a glass each), and cider (Littletree) for Sophia

1 comment:

  1. Partner Perspective

    What a nice meal to come home to! I am told that the black trumpet mushrooms are a variety of chantarelle, but whether or not that is true, they were splendid.

    Marty was concerned that the buffalo steak might be tough -- both because of the cut and because it has that reputation -- but it was perfect. (This coming from an on-and-off vegetarian who has mostly sworn off cow because of the combination of environmental impact and mad cow disease...)

    ReplyDelete